1. Go down to the basement where there is a mat.
2. First you put your head on the floor and your hands out to the side.
(I could manage that.)3. Slowly, put one knee on each elbow. (Seems pretty impossible but I did get to that point okay.)
4. Find your balance. (Looks easy coming from a six year old. At my age, it took a lot more looking for than actually ever finding.)
5. Get your legs in the air. ( I did that too. Not well and definitely not balanced.)
6. Try to keep them that way. (Ha! Good luck.)
The boys did fine. I gave the kids the freedom to try to each teach me something that day. Meleah chose headstands. Travis decided to teach me how to play Lego Star Wars(I prefer headstands, it is hard to play two player games and get those little guys to go where you want them too.) Cody decided he didn't want to try and teach anything but have us read a book. (He was the reason for the whole let-the-kids-teach idea any way. His attitude is fluctuating so much lately. We have hit heads pretty hard with Math and Bob is stepping in to do some tutoring. He is doing the exact same things as I was but because he is Dad, he has no problem. It reminds me, after I got over the frustration that is, of Dr. Dobson's book, Bringing Up Boys. He says there are critical times, usually around 6 and again around 12, in a boys life when he identifies more with males but to do so he has to "kill" the mother or pull away from her to be more like dad. Do you guys find that to be true? Send me an e-mail or something.
I know I went through a rough time when the boys were around six but wow, nothing compared to now. Now they have a vocabulary and intelligence to articulate their thoughts in such a way as to stick the dagger in for the kill. I am thankful that Bob was willing to help on his days off. After his four days of being home and trying to take over for just today, some rough days may be in my future.
Logan is quickly approaching age 6... Now I'm worried!
ReplyDeleteHeadstands are looking great! LOL! At least it looks like you had fun!!
I love the idea of having your children teach you something. Very wise and thoughtful.
ReplyDeleteHeadstands ... hahahahaha I'm afraid I would have . . . well I'm not sure what I would have done, but probably not a headstand. :) I'm sure it would have been called something else by the time I was finished - probably no official gymnastics move consists of lying quietly on the floor after failure to balance. I do really think it's wonderful to let your kids show you how to do something. Sometimes I'm sure they feel like it's all a one way street. Great idea.
ReplyDeleteI think I would come "closer" to a headstand than being able to play Lego Star Wars. I have TRIED those games and I feel so incapable. How I think I'm moving the little guys around is not what happens on the screen! I love this idea of letting them teach you something. Wondering...who took your picture when you were upside down?
ReplyDelete