Saturday, March 20, 2010

Homeschool Track

With reluctance, I signed the kids up for Track. After the last Homeschool Field Trip, I was disappointed with what I saw and even Cody pointed out how poorly behaved some of the kids were. Some of the 10 year old kids were running through this Museum like it was a playground. Yelling, climbing over stuff. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. We even apologized to the Museum personnel, I felt so bad.
Track was coming up and I do feel it is important for the kids to stay active. Track is a two month activity, they have the kids practice through March and April with a Track Meet at the end of April(everyone complains about how hot it is then...70-80?) Monday was sign-up day and was beautiful and 60 something. The boys enjoyed an informal game of football with some of the other guys. Many of them weren't at the other Field Trip.
They were very excited about meeting other kids, it didn't start that way. Travis never wants to do anything that is new or he doesn't know what to expect. As he is telling me, "No! I am NOT going to do it!", a little boy his size runs up to him and says, "You wanna race?" Before I knew it Travis was gone. He ran around the track 3 times. Needless to say he isn't worried about it anymore and wants to run.
Meleah technically isn't old enough but she wanted to do it so much they said it was fine. She will just have to be in 1st grade two years. (Haha. Not really.)
The first practice was Friday. It didn't look good when I got up, it had rained over night. Well the kids were ready with their shorts. As we were doing our school work, they would look out and say, "Look! It is raining." Or, "snow, ugh!" They still had the practice. It was very windy and the last 30 minutes it started snowing lightly. Crazy weather. I used to complain about gym class in Arizona when it was 50 something outside. Try 30 something, brr.
Cody is going for the 50 meter dash. Meleah and Travis are trying out everything. Meleah is very sad that she can't jump the hurdles. She could run under them but I don't think that is what they are looking for.
It was nice for me to go as well and visit with some of the other moms. I found out that my pre-teen son is going through what others his age are also experiencing. They have a Homeschool Mom Support Group that meets once a month.  It was a good experience that I am sure we will all benefit from.
That is the latest from the Hedrick family.

1 comment:

  1. I'm picturing Meleah jumping the hurdles right now :) I'm glad you're getting to meet some other home school moms. I'm sure it helps to have others to talk to about how things are going in that area. Hope the kids don't get too hot during their track meet!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers