Jeanie Larsen, the kids and I visited Craters Of The Moon National Monument on our way to the Idaho Reunion. As I was perusing their website, I discovered that the Pioneers came across this area and called it Devil's Vomit. They tried to avoid it all together. Yet, it did spark interest in my boys eyes. If it is funny, disgusting or weird it is sure to be a hit with the boys.
Some of the Apollo astronauts did training at Craters of The Moon because it so closely resembled the moon's surface.
They say that there were three major eruptions. The last one being about 2000 years ago. Jeanie and I both thought of the crucifixion of Christ and that this must have been around that time. They said that the lava covers 100 sq. miles.
We did manage to get a picture of Cody.
My camera battery died so I missed getting pictures of the caves. We went into some of them and there was still ice in the bottom. The Indians hid in the caves to escape the U. S. Calvary. I can't imagine trying to ride a horse across some of that lava.
I also missed getting pictures of the Gopher Snake that Travis nearly stepped on, a marmot(a big gopher like animal), and the chipmunks. We hiked on a trail when we saw all those things. We had just finished the hike, we were hot and tired and Travis saw a guy on a motorcycle pull into the trail's parking lot and said, "Poor guy, he is going to be miserable hiking this trail."
These cinders would make a perfect snowboarding hill. We learned a new word. Pahoehoe (pa-hoy-hoy), Hawaiian for rope like lava. Travis thought many resembled lava cow pies.
In areas there were pretty, pink monkey flowers. It looked like they were painted on the desolate blackness with the wind as a paintbrush. Maybe after all the black anything that is growing looks pretty.
Just a really cool tree. There is a parasite that attacks the tree and leaves a broom looking branch. I don't see it so much on this picture. They call it "witch's broom". How fitting to find in "Devil's Vomit."
The day ended with a dip in the KOA pool. Very refreshing.Jeanie was a little concerned the kids wouldn't enjoy it but we managed to really enjoy ourselves and learn some new things. It was one of those places that I might not ever have thought about going to and was glad that we went.
When planning your trip, remember these things:
- Sunscreen-Temperatures at ground level can reach 150 degrees.
- Early Summer- It was in the 80's while we were there and hot enough by afternoon.
- Water- Bring plenty because after the Visitor's Center there isn't any place to get more.
- Charge your camera fully before heading out for the day.
- KOA in Arco, ID. Nice cabins, pool, ice cream. The campground at the monument didn't have any trees, just lava rock and paved road.
that pool looks SO refreshing!!! Devil's Vomit... just doesn't sound like a place I want to visit... now or in the afterlife for that matter.
ReplyDelete150 degrees?! Wow that makes the weather here seem chilly.
ReplyDeleteSounds very cool, but yes, definitely a place to visit when it's cooler outside!
ReplyDelete