This is looking from the kitchen out to the Mud Room/Laundry Room. Bob's office is the door to the Right. The Basement is the door to the Left and the Master Bedroom is to the left of that. There is the Master Bathroom door that has access to the kitchen next to the M. Bedroom door. Here is what the kitchen looked like Wednesday afternoon. It is amazing what someone can do when they know what they are doing. It does look so different and yet a bit smaller since you can't see through the walls anymore. I am very pleased with it all. The kids were amazed too. I think that for the last few months they all described it as our "junky" house we bought. It is going to start looking nice to them and they will be excited to live there.

They were playing hide-and-seek.

This is the before. I still have to work on getting them in the right order.

Here is the kitchen when we started. It makes me shudder just thinking of the smell. The kitchen window, I even had to bend over to look out. That is pretty bad.

The wall to the left was removed and those cabinets on the right, the ones you had to walk around to get down the hallway, we moved that wall back so now there is a straight hallway. Those economy grade cabinets will have to go back in for a while. I am looking into the cost of new doors. They are that plastic type material, I am not sure of the name. I tried painting one and it looked terrible. That was after the Kilz primer. Nothing sticks to it. If you have any good ideas, let me know. One person suggested the vinyl siding paint. There is some kind of chemical reaction that makes the paint adhere. We shall see. Maybe we will just take the doors off?
That is the latest update on the house. Now the fun begins...painting. The whole house will need priming. I was trying to tell Bob that now he is
on shift he will have more time. Besides, I need to school the children. Unless he wanted to teach them for a while? He loves painting so much. After painting the AZ house he said he wanted to burn the painting clothes. Maybe teaching is more appealing?
One idea for your cabinet doors might be finding a cool fabric and using spray starch to adhere it? If you don't like it it comes off. Also there is paintable wallpaper. I know with hard to paint surfaces like metal you have to make sure to sand really well and then prime it, paint it then put a protective sealer on it to keep it from scraping off.
ReplyDeleteAlso, if you were able make a cut out hole of sorts in each door that might be cool...just something decorative with arches or something.
Or screw/glue some sort of light weight wood that is paintable on them.
So nice to not see through walls anymore, especially since that could get a little drafty this winter!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I found this site that may give you some ideas on using the ancient art of...dare I say? DECOUPAGE!
ReplyDeletehttp://modpodgerocks.blogspot.com/search/label/Furniture
This gave me so many ideas for home and office!
Thanks for the great ideas Amy! I will look into it. I am sure anything will be and improvement. I saw one book at the library that painted a shadow into these same cabinet doors to make them look like they had some definition. Still didn't think it looked great.
ReplyDeleteI will check it out!