I blinked and June disappeared. It was good to see everyone at Reunion and then go up to Idaho and see more church people. It is so sweet to meet with our brothers and sisters.
In the midst of all this, I received the test results from the Stanford 10 Standardized test the kids did in April. I was shocked to read that both boys scored Post High School overall on the Listening portion. I think that it is named incorrectly. Maybe verbal comprehension would be better. What I have yet to figure out is if it is comparing them to the public school students or a set standard for the test. Maybe Post High School standards are really just that poor.
It is good that we did it this year because with the move and remodelling our house and the areas we didn't get to, they still did really well. It will be a good baseline to see how much it changes next year. It showed me the areas that I knew they needed more practice in. It also showed me that subjects I thought they were doing terrible in, were actually above grade level standards. We need to work on spelling and grammar next year. Maybe it should be done aloud, since they "Listen" so well.
We are working at getting everything organized for next year. We decided to put all the books in the basement. It concerns me a bit with moisture, smells, etc. Right now it is the space that we have, so we will give it a try. Maybe this will keep our basement nicer since we will be down there more often? I am getting excited to start another year of school. It is nice to have the break and get refreshed for another year.
Saturday, July 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm not sure how this test is standardized, but many times when they say a grade level like that it means that a post high school student taking the same test would've scored what they did. It doesn't mean the actual standards for that grade, but what someone with that level of schooling would've done. Which doesn't make a lot of sense, but I had to learn all about standardized testing in one of my college classes. They usually have two scores a percentile and a grade level, so I don't know if your's had that or not. That doesn't change the fact that either way that is a GREAT score for your boys. If they're at that level for any section of the test it's a very good thing. It just doesn't mean they should skip ahead to post high school reading classes just yet :) They're doing awesome though and definitely performing above grade level with that kind of score. Way to go boys! (and their teacher deserves a congratulations as well...good job!)
ReplyDeleteThanks Rebecca. I thought that is what it meant. Just amazed that they completely miss everything I say even though they agree and repeat it back to me.
ReplyDeleteWow, so great! Even better is that you know they "listen" so well! No more excuses! LOL! =)
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing you guys in a few days!
And we, too, are looking forward to the school year, although I've got to be honest and say I am really enjoying the time off and wouldn't mind if it were just a bit longer! =)