Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Peek Into Our School Day

 This year we are recording the amount of time we spend in each subject. The School we are a part of has noticed a trend that the amount of time spent in each subject determines how well each student does when it is testing time. It seems credible because I know we have spent less time on subjects like spelling and creative writing and that is where my boys need the most work. This book is where I record my notes and I later "log hours" on a website every week. It sure has made me more diligent to stick with a schedule.
This is Cody's desk. He always keeps it neat. He is working on his own this year with minimal checking in from me. We work together on a few things but I just review his work and talk through things with him. He is doing a science class outside of the home and so that has freed up more time for me to work with Travis and Meleah.
 We have moved school to the basement. It seems crazy, especially if you have seen our basement. I specifically avoided the insulation and wires hanging in the ceiling. Hopefully, at some point we can  fix that.  We do really well with school down there. There are less distractions, everything is in one place, and if we don't have to clean off the table for dinner. I do miss being able to do stuff while the kids work, like dishes or starting dinner.  I liked the school work being in the middle of our lives. But,this way there is no window for daydreaming. We aren't distracted by Bob whenever he is home doing stuff. 
 Meleah gets a tablecloth because this also happens to be where the painting happens. As well as a majority of the coloring.
 Here is Travis' desk. We had them all together but I had to separate us in order for us to do our work.

Some of our many books. We all spend a good portion of our school day reading and more reading.




After a week off from school, I am ready to get back to our regular routine. I am just a schedule person. Maybe I just need to schedule our time off from school and it won't feel like we are being lazy.
 
There is just a small glimpse of our day. I am grateful to be able to be home and learn along with the kids. I love being able to see their understanding grow and their ability to learn and remember new things. It is a precious gift that sometimes seems very heavy but it has been a good experience for us so far.

2 comments:

  1. That first picture of your lesson plan book brings back so many memories! The basement classroom looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liza, so good get a glimps into your days. Missing you a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Followers