Saturday, August 8, 2009

Overwhelmed and really sore...

Or I think it might have been tearing up the flooring.

Nice looking kitchen, right? Well looks can be deceiving. First of all, pictures don't show smell very well. This one sure did smell. I do have to apologize to all the cat lovers. At first, I thought there were cat problems but it turned out to be an old leak that did a lot of damage. Under the cracked, loose tile, there happen to be SIX more layers of flooring. Tile, thin plywood,linoleum, vinyl tile, tongue and groove wood flooring, another layer of vinyl, and finally the wood plank bottom level. We now have a taller ceiling since we removed so much flooring. The leak damaged all seven layers. This is what happens when you try to cover up a problem to avoid it instead of dealing with it in the first place.
I think this is the vinyl tile layer. It dates back to who-knows-when era.
We found some treasures along the way. Bob uncovered some mummified mice while ripping off sheetrock, but the best was the mouse skeleton in the electrical outlet.
On the brighter side, we met the neighbors and there is a 12 year old boy who lives next door. They are the ones that bought the house we were planning on renting. So far they seem nice. They water their field and it fills up the pond for us. It is looking good now.
I am so glad that tomorrow is Sunday so we can rest.

4 comments:

  1. Again, WOW... You really do have a ton of work. It's going to be a brand new house when you're done. I am in shock at so many layers of flooring, and the mouse skeleton in the electrical outlet. Crazy!
    I'm sure there will be more stories, but hoping and praying the rest is better for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's a ton of work but, in the end, it will be yours. I don't know if you've been on facebook but, I am so very sad we didn't get to hug and say goodbye to all of you. I know you'll be back but, I'm still sad. Miss seeing you guys already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoyed your day of rest today! What fun treasures you are finding along the way though. Not everyone can say they once had mice skeletons in their electrical outlets. Pretty sweet! Ok pretty gross, but makes for a very good story. Good luck with the rest of the house. Can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well my goodness, you got more than you bargained for. My boys would love to look at those skeletons.. Hopefully, no more though.. Looks like your making progress... Don't get discouraged..we are praying for you guys. Miss you and love you
    Isaac and Trish :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers