Sunday, October 25, 2009

Am I more Eagle or Chicken?

We weren't able to go to church today so we listened to one of the online sermons. It was a good one by Brandon Tarbell, The Real Thing With A Better Idea. It was based on an e-mail about a teacher that asked a class to compare slogans to God. Some examples were:
  • God is like Scotch tape. You can't see Him but you know He is there.
  • God is like Tide, He gets the stains out that others leave behind.
  • God is like Coca Cola, He is the Real Thing.
  • God is like Bayer Aspirin, He performs miracles.
  • God is like Dial Soap, Aren't you glad you know Him and don't you wish everyone did?

He tied everyone of those things to scripture. At the end, Brandon made a comment about Eagles and Chickens. He was quoting something but I missed the source. It reminded me of Glenn's sermon. It really struck me. The story was pointing out how chickens fret and fuss trying to fly and never get off the ground. Eagles, however, wait for the right moment until the wings of God lift them up.But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

I think I have been thinking more like a chicken lately than an eagle. Feeling overwhelmed with the cares and concerns that come our way. Bob's health, the four weeks left of his Academy, the house that we will need to live in in 2 months, trying to make sure I teach the children, support and encourage the local here, etc. It does sound like a chicken list. I needed the reminder to rely on God and not our own strength.

He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Isaiah 40:29

2 comments:

  1. I haven't listened to that one, I need to though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that there is a website that we can listen to sermons now... Such a blessing for those who cannot be at church to hear a sermon.
    Sounds like a great sermon. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Followers