The kids and I were on our way to church-Bob was delayed at work and would meet us there- and saw a deer someone had hit and it sparked an interesting discussion, with topics ranging from human rigor mortis, caskets, funeral costs, cremation, the use of urns to hold a loved one's ashes. The discussion ended when I told the kids, "Just so you know, when I die when I am an old lady, I would prefer cremation. It's cheaper, I would be dead so what does it matter." I knew what their response would be but I do think it is important to know that we all die and it could be a decision they would have to make. I think it may have been a premature discussion. Travis plugged his ears, Meleah said, "I don't like you saying 'old lady'." The rest of the night Cody kept hugging me throughout the night-just because I may not always be there.
Would I have the discussion again? Yes. But I am the kind of mom that wants to discuss everything with my kids so that they aren't afraid to talk to me about things. It also started a little more appreciation for mom and thankfulness for her being there. That is something that my pre-teen boy hasn't been showing much of lately.
Good Job Liza.. Trish :)
ReplyDeleteAw...
ReplyDeleteI think it's important to talk about those things too... Good job!