I found this great idea on this blog:
Her wreath and leaves are very nice but she did them on a book and I just love books too much to destroy a book just to paint on it.
1. Draw some leaves.
2. Paint them with watercolors.
3. Cut out leaf shapes.
4. Attach them to a wreath.

That didn't sound too difficult. I thought it would be a great activity with the kids. It would require some watercolors and drawing, something my kids have discovered they love to do. Then I realized how great it would be if we did it while we had some out-of-town visitors. While looking at some fall colors, we collected some leaves. It was the last day our guests would be there and I had almost forgotten about the project when Michelle Ely reminded me of it. We got out all the supplies(here is where the torture comes in) and I explained what to do. We sat down and started drawing. Russell and Karen Bell showed up to say good-bye to our visitors and I made them sit and make some leaves.

"I can't draw!" "I am terrible." "This doesn't look right." These were some of the comments I heard but as you see the finished project, altogether, it looks lovely. I glued the leaves onto some grape vines that I had crafted into a wreath shape. In addtition to the fall wreath, I have the momento of their visit. Plus, it always makes me laugh and warms my heart to remember how uncomfortable everyone seemed and yet how pleased they seemed with their completed leaf. There is one real leaf hidden among the others but it is very difficult to find. Now I have a creative, fall wreath that will remind me of time spent with friends.
The real leaf is in the middle of the wreath on the right hand side. It is the dullest looking one right about middle.
ReplyDeleteI love this!
ReplyDeletethis looks like fun!
ReplyDelete